Thursday, January 31, 2013

How to fix the 0% charge indicator icon on Nexus 7

I am a Google Nexus 7 lover. I recently had the dreaded 0% charging icon on my device. I noticed it started after I accidentally dropped the device on the floor. The device would not show the charge percentage on the device. It would even randomly reboot or shutdown when I abruptly place the device on a flat hard surface. I tried the following:

1. Installed Battery Indicator App (still showed 0% status unknown)
2. Wipe and Reset device (still showed 0% staus unknown)
3. Google for more advice - Found removing the back cover and reseating the battery connector
4. Removed my back cover by using my finger nail to get an opening in the middle of the device
5. Using a butter knife I carefully pryed the cover off to expose the interior of the device
6. Noticed the battery connector was not flush / tight into the connector
7. Reseated the connector and powered on the device
8. Battery indicator icon was back to normal
9. Place the cover back on the device and saved myself the hassle of an RMA

I love this device and the fact that it withstood the drop with minimal damage and still worked was amazing. The NExus 7 tablet is very light, fast and portable. Everyone who sees it wants to hold it to feel the weight. The device has several "Toolkits" available on the Internet for "unlocking and Rooting" your device.

The following link gives details of on how easy it is to open the device.  http://www.zdnet.com/googles-nexus-7-is-repair-friendly-teardown-finds-7000000205/

8 comments:

  1. You are the greatest! I googled this problem and most talked about rebooting it by holding all 3 buttons. Found your post (and yes, I dropped it the other day). Followed your directions and it rebooted showing it was fully charged.
    Thanks for the help.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your post. I was about to send my Nexus 7 back to ASUS but I don't have to now. I opened up the back cover, reseated the battery cable and rebooted. Battery indicator is fully functioning now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this, and unfortunately it didn't work for me. Now I can't get the back off a second time. My battery appears to be holding charge - it's just SO frustrating not knowing where it's levels are!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worked great for me!!! You saved me $ and my beloved tablet!!! Thanks soooo much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didnt work for me still have 0% the battery cable is pushed flush in. Any other advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pay real close attention to all the connectors. Make sure you have a tight connection and try again. This seems to work for the majority of cases. Also wedge the battery in with a piece of paper folded into the gap. This will prevent the battery from sliding in the unit. Good luck.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, finally a solution that worked

    ReplyDelete